Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Toxic Synovitis

Sounds scary, doesn't it?!?!

Well let me tell you how I learned this medical (and scary sounding word).

Thursday morning after the kids got up we ate breakfast as usual. Then Pierce was done so I took him out of the highchair and set his feet on the floor and let go (like I ALWAYS do) expecting him to run off like a wild man. Well he collapses on the floor and starting crying a bit. I look at him baffled and try to encourage him to get up. He doesn't so I help him up again and again he falls to the floor. I realize this time it is his right leg that doesn't seem to be doing it's job. I pick him up and take him to his room and set him on the floor with toys and call Dan in a panic (big surprise I am sure).

Dan says, "Maybe his leg fell asleep. Give him some time and tell me what happens." Oh. well why didn't I think of that? So after a while he started limping around and getting back to somewhat normal. I thought...oh maybe it did fall asleep. Fast forward to lunch time. I again put him in the highchair and after lunch take him out. He then does not use his leg at all. WHAT?!?! Am I completely loosing my mind? What is going on? He was tired so I put him down thinking sleep might help (hey it couldn't hurt). After nap he again cannot use his leg. So I call the Dr. and make an appt for that afternoon.

The P.A checks his leg really thoroughly and cannot find any tender spots. Pierce is not crying or acting upset. He seems fine. He just wont walk on his leg. I am trying desperately to rack my brain and think of a time he could have gotten hurt in the last 24hrs. I just feel awful. What kind of mom doesn't know how or when her child got hurt. I also feel kind of crazy. I mean this just all the sudden happened. Am I crazy?!?!

Well the P.A says she thinks he has Toxic Synovitis. A virus that settles in the hip joint. It inflames and irritates the hip making it painful and uncomfortable to walk on. We can give him some ibuprofen to help with the swelling and make him more comfortable and some tylenol to help with the pain. Also, I need to try and keep him off of it and don't let him walk (meaning carry him everywhere). Like any other virus it should run its course in a few days and we should see improvement. If we don't by Monday then we will get x-rays done of the whole hip and leg and be sure it is not injured or something more serious.

I have NEVER heard anything like this. I am HUGELY pregnant and carrying this big boy everywhere is not going to be easy. I am also pretty emotional (lets blame pregnancy on this one too). We go to the store get some medicine and go home. That night he wakes up crying/screaming from pain. The next day he is not using his leg at all again. But he WANTS to. He is frustrated and I am wore out. By the afternoon he is forcing himself to limp on it so he can play and keep up with his big sis. That night he wakes up screaming from pain again :( It takes me over an hour and a half to put him to sleep. Saturday he again is not using his leg at all. His crawling has even been affected. I am starting to get nervous. Maybe we misdiagnosed? Is my baby hurt? He is not taking good naps because he wakes up in pain. I am starting to wonder if we need to take him back to the Dr right away.

Sunday morning he is still not using his leg. I am pretty discouraged. If he has to get x-rays I won't get to be in there with him because of my pregnancy. My heart feels so sad. What exactly is this Toxic Synovitis anyway??

So I google it and came across a few articles. Here is one of the articles I read. Oh wow this sounds EXACTLY like what Pierce is going through. I feel tons better. I am no longer completely crazy! I am feeling more and more confident that we made the right diagnosis!!!!

Well by Sunday afternoon he turned a corner and started limping around again. He slept through the night without waking up in pain! Monday morning he was almost back to his normal energetic self! Another good nap and nighttime and we come to today. He is doing great! He still limps every once and a while but it is not slowing him down at all. He is climbing, walking/running and happy. Overall he is seeming like himself. Oh praise the Lord.

I have been reminded of how healthy my children are. What a blessing that truly is. It is not fun to see your children suffer in any way, shape or form.

I have also been reminded that while I would NEVER let my children suffer (for any reason) God has shown us the ultimate kindness by sending us his Son and letting (and watching) him suffer and die so we might be saved. Oh how he loves us.

And now you (like me) have extended your vocabulary with a new medical term :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh Tylie--that was so sad to read! I am so very sorry. PTL that he is doing better, but how rough was that?? Bless you and praises going to the lord for getting you through that. HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad Pierce is better! And that is a very interesting virus. Never heard of it before. Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete