Monday, March 17, 2014

An Update

This morning I spent some time in the NICU with my sweet baby! I was hoping when I got there he would have shown tons of improvement and we could have gotten the oxygen off today. 

Unfortunately his breathing became more labored and fast again last night and the doctor decided to do another xray on his chest to see what is going on. I was so discouraged and couldn't fight off the tears. The nurse was so sweet and gave me a box of tissues and handed me Max to hold. After a few minutes we decided to do skin on skin and that was so great!!!

As I was doing skin on skin the doctor came over to talk to me about the X-ray. She said it looked better than yesterday's which was good news! She said there was still some fluid in his lungs at the bottom that needed to drain still. She said upping the pressure on the Cpap will help open his lungs a bit more and should really help clear up that fluid. She also said he was probably a bit gassy from swallowing some of that air and that can add pressure to his diaphragm causing him to work a bit harder. So they would give him a suppository and try to get some gas out. We will see if that helps. 

Dan and I held him for a while then had to go get some lunch. This afternoon I came back and found they have turned off the warmer and he was regulating his own body temperature! Good job little boy! He also had 2 dirty diapers when I changed him! They have placed a small feeding tube in his nose to start giving him my breast milk and get his gut working. He has had 2 feedings (4ml and 3 ml) and seems to be handling it well. He is still working hard on that breathing but the nurses and doctors are assuring me it just takes a little time. 

Here are a few pictures from today. He is so cute. I wish you could get a good feel for just how tiny he is!!!









Oh I love this little baby!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment