Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Perspective

Today was one of those days were God gently and lovingly humbled me. This is not a bad thing. In fact I am very grateful that he is continuing to refine my character and show me my need for his Son. Here is how it started:

I was blog "clicking" and found out someone I knew from K-State delivered their child at 27 weeks. This special guy is literally fighting for his life at under 2lbs. Reading through this blog and looking at pictures my heart was so broken for them. I was amazed at their strength and ability to trust God during this hard time. I had got some perspective in my life.

Or so I thought....

Fast forward to a couple of hours later and Saffryn spilled some juice all over the floor. It was an accident and outwardly I handled myself very calmly and lovingly. But on the inside I was really annoyed. I JUST cleaned all my floors. As I was wiping up the juice (with my bad attitude) God gently spoke to me: "Do you know how many people wish they were cleaning up spilled juice from their child?"

I wanted to fall to my knees right then and there. How selfish I am. How ungrateful. How easily I forget the true suffering around me. How is it possible that I was just thinking I gained some perspective on life then a short while later I get annoyed with my children over virtually nothing! Now don't get me wrong. It is okay to have bad days with your children...but this was not a bad day. This was completely a lack of perspective. How could I complain about spilled juice when I have so much! Why do I focus on the spilled juices of my life and forget the many treasures God has given me? He of course was right. There are so many people who long to clean up spilled juice. Who want nothing more than to have a "bad day" with their children. How many times have I taken for granted my many blessings? How many times have I had a bad attitude? What else have I thought and said that I did not know the true meaning of?

To say I needed that little pep talk from HIM is an under statement. I am so grateful that he continues to guide me and show me his love.

When Jesus was on the cross he prayed: "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." Luke 23:34.

I now find myself praying those same words back to him. "Jesus please forgive me. I know not what I am doing...or saying....or thinking. I am so selfish. I am ungrateful. I am in desperate need of your forgiveness. I so easily lose sight of the treasures of this life and after life. Please help me see the world as you see it. Help me gain perspective. Thank you for humbling me. Thank you for guiding me. But most of all thank you for loving me. Amen."

2 comments: