Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bird Seed

First of all a small back story ( sorry I seem to be a big fan of back stories, don't I): last year I got a little bird feeder to go in our tree in the back yard. I was so excited to feed those greedy little animals...hehe! Really they are greedy I had to fill that feeder all the time! Well I mistakingly kept the bird seed in my pantry. A little while later I saw these little bugs in our flour. I assumed they were from the flour, so I threw out our flour. The next day while we were eating cereal we found bugs in there, too....YUCK! I checked the pantry and found them EVERYWHERE! I had to throw away almost everything!!!! I did a major major clean and called the exterminator. I was still thinking they were from the flour, but in the process of cleaning out the pantry Dan put the bag of bird seed in the garage. Well a few weeks later Dan was doing something in the garage I can't remember what and came across the bag of bird seed COVERED in those small bugs, looks like we found the pantry sourse...OOPS! LOL.

So all that to say you would think I would have learned my lesson and give up on feeding those pesky, yet super adorable little friends...NOPE! I really wanted to try and feed them again this year. I thought Saffryn would like to watch them eat. So I thought about it and realized I just need to find a container to put the bird seed in and keep it ouside or in the garage again. Then I realized this would be a perfect sensory activity for Saffryn!!!! We went outside onto our deck with the special tools (shovel, rake, bucket and strainer) we just got from Oma and Opa! They were perfect for the job! It was so great doing it outside because I figured it was going to get messy and we could use nature to help clean up and save me the trouble...yay! So she helped me fill up the bird feeder! Here are the pictures:


Our feeder, bird seed and shovel...time to get started!!! :)


Saffryn "working" in the bird seed!


She wanted to sit on my lap for most of it..haha! But she really liked this new "job"


Fill up the feeder for the birds!

Concentrating very hard on her new job!


Momma and baby....She is just too busy to pose for a picture though...


Filling up the feeder and getting bird seed everywhere...its a hard job!

So much fun!

My busy girl!

The aftermath...so glad it was outside so I didn't have to clean it up!

We finished! Enjoy sweet little birds :)

2 comments:

  1. Yikes about the bugs...we get those even if I keep my flour in screw-top containers.

    Looks like you guys had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute :) You have such good and fun ideas! I'm always impressed.

    ReplyDelete