Thursday, March 31, 2011

March 31st

I am taking a quick break from my scheduled vacation blogging to write about something that happened today! I am SO SO SO excited about it! Saffryn played by herself while I was cooking dinner....YAY!!!!


Okay, let me back track so you can understand why I am so excited. Dinner is usually the hardest time of day for us. Saffryn is tired from a long day, hungry and SUPER CLINGY! I am trying to make dinner and I have a screaming/crying/whining toddler at my feet for most of the time. I have tried so many different things to help remedy the situation: snacks, toys, having her help as much as possible, sitting in the highchair so she can see me doing things. Mostly these don't work so I end up telling her what I can do and then ignoring the rest. And honestly it is usually miserable for both of us.


Well tonight we were downstairs playing for a bit and I knew I needed to get dinner started.


So I said, "I'm going to go upstairs and work on dinner. You can stay down here and play or you can come up with me. It is up to you. I will leave the gate open and you come up when you are ready."


She looked at me and said, "okay"


I went upstairs and she closed the baby gate, turned around and went to her doll house. I sat there waiting for the meltdown....but it didn't come. Hmmm....ok I guess I should get started on dinner. I get started on dinner and peak downstairs and she is busy playing with baby doll. I can't believe this. 5 minutes pass then 10 minutes and I haven't heard a peep. I check on her again and there she is busy busy busy just playing mommy to her doll!!!(Yes I was trusting her to come up the stairs herself...but honestly I was expecting her to start crying and screaming the second I got out of sight so I really thought it would be a non issue anyway)

I'll be honest I kind of freaked out in a good way! I was literally doing the happy dance! I called my Mother-In-Law and told her the good news! I posted it on facebook to tell everyone the good news!!! I mean this is GOOD NEWS!!!!





Well I was thinking the meltdown was sure to come...so when dinner was ready I hesitantly went downstairs. Saffryn said, "Hi Momma!!!" I said, "Hi! Dinner is ready upstairs." She said, "okay" and walked to the stairs. She turned around and said, "Bye bye baby" to her baby doll and walked up the stairs!!!!


WHAT?????? This is AH-MA-ZING!!!! She had a great dinner and was in a perfect mood all night long! When did she grow up? I felt like I was talking to a preschooler this evening, not a toddler! I am SO beyond proud of her! I know not every night will be like this, but this was such a huge jump for us that I am still literally doing the happy dance!


Who knows maybe I will actually start enjoying cooking....NAH probably not. LOL!!!!


Happy Thursday :)

1 comment: