Monday, February 20, 2012

A First

We had a first at The Mahoney household. Yesterday late evening we spent several hours at the emergency room...

But let me back up a bit. After dinner with my mother in law and sister in law my mother in law took Saffryn to the bathroom and she started crying and really didn't go very much. She said her bottom hurt her. To tell you the truth I didn't worry about it because with a 2 year old potty time can be a struggle and it is hard to know if this is something to worry about or just a 2 year old wanting some control.

So fast forward about an hour or more and we are getting ready for bedtime, and she starts fighting potty time again. Now this is really not like her. I encourage her to go and she is crying a lot. When she is done I notice a bit of blood in the toilet! I wipe really well and try not to freak out. First thing I did??? Googled it! Lol! It seemed to fit the bill for a uti and nothing more serious because she seemed ok otherwise, no fevers or fatigue. I figure I will just call the Dr in the morning and continue on with bedtime.

Then after a minute my mom anxiety kicked in and I decided to call the nurse on call just to get a second opinion. They had a high call volume so they said it could take up to an hour to get back to me. So we continue on with bedtime.

About an hour or a little more I get a call back from the nurse. She is super sweet and cheerful and puts me at ease right away. She asks me some questions and seems so cheerful that I suspect my opinion was correct to wait until the morning. Then she says in the sweetest voice, "I am looking at my supervisor and she is shaking her head yes. We both think you need to take your daughter into the ER now."

I think my jaw hit the floor. I feel panic rising a bit. So I ask just to confirm, "you want me to wake her up and take her right now?"

"We typically like to have them seen within 4 hours of something like this just to confirm it is not a kidney infection. That can become really serious really fast. So go ahead and take her to the hospital."

Oh my. Well Dan is out of town at a work dinner about 1 1/2 hours away. So I call him ASAP and tell him to meet me at the hospital. I call my mother in law and asked if she could come and watch Pierce so I could wake up Saffryn and go. She and my sister in law rushes over.

I am trying to stay calm and keep thinking she seemed fine. My mother in law and sister in law arrive and we get a plan. My sister in law would stay with a sleeping Pierce and my mother in law will come with me so I didn't have to take her alone.

I wake her up and put her in the car and drive to the hospital. Thankfully it is not vey busy and we get checked in right away. She does not have a fever and is being so cheerful and brave. She thought it was pretty cool to have a special braclet with her name on it.

All was going really well until it came time to pee in the cup. She did not want to. I finally got her to go a tiny amount. The nurses were amazing and so patient. They tried to work with what I gave them and brought her some water and a slush to get her bladder a bit more full to help.

The Dr. came in and said it was not enough urine so we needed to try again. He suggested a dose of ib profen to help with the pain and hopefully encourage her to pee. We had to wait thirty minutes for that to kick in. While we were waiting the nurses came in and turned on Finding Nemo on the tv in our room. They also gave her some coloring pages and some crayons. She was in heaven. I told you they were amazing!

Dan got there about this time and joined the adventure. The Dr. came back and said with the little urine we gave them they ran a basic urine test and found blood and some bacteria in it, which is what they were expecting. They wanted to run a micro culture test thingy to get a closer look and see what bacteria was there. So we really needed that urine sample.

So a few minutes later we try again. Dan and I try bribing her with everything we can think of. But she just cried and wouldn't go. We weren't sure if it because it was painful or if she just didn't like the cup being there or what. So we give up after a while and tell the Dr. He said we could get a urine from home and just start the antibiotics since they were confident something was going on. So we got checked out and went to the pharmacy. It is pushing 12:30 at this point.

We get home and relieve the ladies. Then Saffryn goes on the potty and I was able to get a sample. Called the Dr. and they wanted the sample right then. So Dan put Saffryn to bed and I drove back to the hospital to drop off the sample. Got back home and to sleep at 2 am. Phew!

Well this morning I called our pediatrician and talked about what had happened. They called the ER and got the results back from the culture. It was all clear. What??? I am kind of confused about it because they initially saw blood and other stuff in the urine. But I guess after a closer look it wasn't anything. The Dr. said to keep her on the antibiotics just to be sure and to keep an eye on her.

Oh man. What a crazy 12 hours we had.

First I have to thank my mother in law for coming. She helped me with support and helped Saffryn (who just adores her) feel at ease and have some fun!!!! So very thankful for her. Also for my sister in law who stayed back and kept an eye on Pierce!!! She helped so much and then made us cookies today!!! Thank you!!!

Wow this is getting long...lol. But I am also just so thankful. I kept thinking how many people have to take their child to the ER and not have such an easy experience. My heart truly broke for them last night. This is the first ER experience for us. That in itself is a lot to be thankful for!!! God has so blessed us.

Saffryn is doing great today. She is tired, but so are the rest of us!!! She hasn't complained about going potty today. I am so glad for it and for her good experience with those staff!

Here are a few pictures from our trip... Yup I'm that mom!

I am so very proud of my daughter. It was wayyyy past her bedtime and she was as sweet as could be! She was so cooperative (except about peeing in a cup...but really who enjoys that)! She is a serious trooper!!!!

Hoping that was our first and last trip to the ER. Hey a mom can hope right?!?!? ;)

5 comments:

  1. Bless you momma!!! And that sweet baby girl of yours too!! I HOPE it all stay ok and nothing else comes of it!! But you got to love our medical community. Seriously I don't know how many times I have been told that it was something, but they just had to figure it out and in the meantime I am panicking and then I hear back that it was nothing...ummm what?? It is so confusing! Just remember that YOU and DAN are your kiddos #1 advocate and NEVER question your instinct!! I think you did awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad she's feeling better. Good job to Saffryn and YOU for being so brave! I would have fallen apart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi tylie -- Popping over from Terri's blog. I am a PA and used to work in peds GI. Any chance that Saffryn is constipated? That can cause blood with wiping and anxiety about the toilet. It could also just be related to being 2 of course. Hopefully, she is back to normal by now! Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Congrats on baby #3. I had 3 in 3.5 years -- not quite as close as yours but similar. It's busy but fun.

    ReplyDelete