Wednesday, January 25, 2012

process vs product

I really really enjoy arts and crafts with young children! It is so fun to watch them explore, experiment and learn how to be creative. It can be so hard not to push them to "make something." In our own craft time that is our goal, to have an end product. But out goal for young children is for them to enjoy the process. Sometimes they have their own ideas about the end product and sometimes they just like experimenting with the materials. They are learning how it works. They are learning what they like. They are learning, learning LEARNING! It can be so hard because it can be messy. It can be hard for us because they take something really neat looking to us and ruin it by wiping it off, gluing over it, etc. But in the end if you allow them to take the lead and give them free reign with the materials (of course that doesn't mean it is okay to color on the wall, eat the materials, etc) they learn to be creative people. They learn how things work. They learn that they are capable, competent and can make things THEY are proud of.

I think this article that my friend showed me says it so much better than I am doing so I suggest you read it when you get a chance! http://www.handsonaswegrow.com/2012/01/parenting-learning-to-let-go.html

Anyway....encouraged by reading this article I went and added some more materials to our art box! When I was a teacher it was so much easier for me to do these activities because the classroom already has those materials and is set up to do that. At home I sometimes forget or can get intimidated about doing the same activities. I am so thankful for these helpful prods in the right direction. They continue to push me to be a better mother and a teacher! So we went to the store and got glue, glitter, glitter glue, feathers, poms, tape and ribbons. I showed her how to squeeze the glue, and shake the glitter and pull down the tape so she could do it herself. Then I stood back and watched her explore. She LOVED it! I am so proud of my little artist!

The beginning of our art time

busy squeezing...so good for her hand strength

so busy


Her creation!

Hmm..maybe I would like to add some feathers

Then she decided she needed to wipe some of it off....this took some control on my part. I wanted to say, "NO it look so good don't wipe it off." But she thought that is what it needed and was glad to have done it!


The end result!
We are both looking forward to more art time! I am trying to get better at bringing it out more often and saying yes when she asks as much as I can!

3 comments:

  1. You are the coolest mom! I hope I can let go when I need to and watch little Sadie explore and learn in the future :) I'll need some tips when that time comes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! You are the coolest mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I need to let go a little more with Mae - beefing up the craft box is in order.

    ReplyDelete