Saturday, January 29, 2011

Crayons

I have so many many projects in my head for Saffryn and I to do. I decided to start small though and introduce crayons to her. I did this a week or so ago. I got a big tin of crayons from a garage sale for next to nothing (not that they are that expensive to begin with...but whatever). I was so excited to see her play with the crayons and had this grand idea in my head that I would get to see her color. I couldn't wait to talk about what colors she was using and help her practice her fine motor skills.....WELL Saffryn had other ideas for our crayon project :) She decided she would work on other important skills instead...filling and dumping!

Now don't be fooled, I am not being sarcastic. This really is an important skill. By filling the tin she is working on her eye hand coordination. She is working on her fine motor control by picking up the crayons. She is working on her spatial reasoning (which will someday lead into math) by filling the tin and experimenting with quantities. She is also working on a great self help skill which is cleaning up after one's self, too!!! This will slowly translate into helping clean up all of her toys...(wooooohooooo)! :)

All this to say even though we have not had any "work of arts" with the crayons yet, I am confident that she is learning and growing. I am very glad that she is learning so many important skills...and who knows maybe with markers (which we will try soon) she will be more interested in the art process :) Enjoy our pictures of our new activity!

 Saffryn surrounded by the crayons she dumped on the floor...so colorful!
 Seeing what crayons she picked up and will put in her tin
 Using her eye hand coordnation and fine motor skills to pick up the crayons :)
 Dumping all the crayons on the floor again
She put the tin on the table and then decided to fill it with crayons!

Stay tuned for our next project...MARKERS! :)

1 comment: