Monday, December 3, 2012

Super Duper Easy

Today we made some homemade ornaments. As the title suggests they are super duper easy!!! These are not going to be the kind that can be saved year to year, but they are fun...and easy. Did I mention that? Lol!

First buy some mints. Not all mints are the same. Some don't work as well. I prefer the target kind. Make sure it says made from peppermint oil. Not sure if that is the difference but those kind for sure work!




When you are ready to do this activity preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Next have your kids help unwrap them! This is a great way to practice fine motor development! If they are old enough they can eat some as they work. I chose not to do that (Saffryn probably could but Pierce is just too young so I thought to be fair I would say no across the board) and my kids didn't mind. So don't let that discourage you from doing this!



Put some wax or parchment paper on a cookie sheet.





Then have your children help you put the mints in a circle. Be sure to leave lots of room in the middle!




Then put them in the oven. Watch them melt together. It takes about 5 minutes or so. Don't be discouraged if at first it doesn't seem to be doing anything, it will melt. Then take them out to cool.



I turn the light on so the kids can watch!


Remember when I said to leave enough space in the middle?




Otherwise this happens and you really want this




Then you put a ribbon around it and find the perfect spot on the tree!




If it stays sticky you can use some hairspray on it to act as a shellac!

Super Duper Easy. And fun. Both of my kids loved doing this. Oh and you can sneak a mint if you are as obsessed with peppermint as I am. Just sayin....


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment