Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Colt's Birth Day

He is here!!! Our new baby boy Colt Darren!

Here is the story of his arrival:

I went to the birth care center for our scheduled induction Tuesday morning. We got checked in and the nurse got my iv in the first try...can I get a hallelujah...lol. We started pitocin around 8:15. The morning was pretty slow. The contractions were very manageable and I wasn't making much progress.

Around 11:45 they checked me and I was still a 3 so the resident came and broke my water to help move things along. The contractions got stronger but were still manageable. Dan really helped me get through them by breathing with me and keeping me relaxed. That breathing seems so cheesy but it made a big difference for me!

My nurse checked me at 1:30 and said I was a 5 and 60% effaced. I was happy I was making some progress but of course I wanted to keep making more. Well after a quick trip to the bathroom I started feeling really shaky and queasy. I felt like things were starting to pick up. That is how I felt a couple hours before Saffryn was born. I talked with my nurse about it and she asked me what I wanted to do about pain management. The million dollar question.

Side note- with Pierce I feel like I got the epidural way to early and I regretted it and felt miserable being so numb for so long.

So Dan and I talked about it and decided I was still in control and managing the contractions myself so let's keep going. It was about 1:40 or so at this point and we decided to wait until 2 to see how I was doing.

So 2 comes around and my contractions start feeling a bit unmanageable. I decided to go ahead and get the epidural. So my nurse (who was wonderful by the way!) called the anesthesiologist and started prepping me. The anesthesiologist came in and got me in position. My mom left the room under nurses orders and Dan sat at my side to help me. I know he doesn't like needles so I double check to make sure he will be ok. He assures me he will.

I get the epidural placed...which was no small feat considering how much pain I am in. The worst was over so I thought Dan had made it through. The anesthesiologist starts asking me about my pain and if the epidural has started working. Then I hear a loud thump and the nurses start saying, "Dan. Dan. Wake up." oh no. He has passed out on the floor. I can't see him. I am in significant amount of pain and the nurses are trying to help him.

I ask for my mom and she comes back over. Dan lays on the couch and drinks some juice to recover. I keep getting asked to rate my pain. All I can say, "is it hurts"!!! Well worse than before I got the epidural, better, or the same? Ummm...it hurts. I know what it is supposed to feel like to have a working epidural...and this is NOT it.

Around 2:20 Dan comes back over to me and tries to encourage me to relax and breath through them. I honestly can't. They keep asking me if the epidural is kicking in. Are my legs getting heavy? Are they tingly? No and no. My nurse checks me and I am a 6 and 100% effaced. She calls my doctor to tell her I am getting closer.

All the sudden I feel him drop into my pelvis. I was already moaning through the last few contractions so I started yelling and through the yelling I said, "He is coming!!"

Let's just pause for a minute. Nothing is set up or ready. I went from a 6 to complete in less than 10 minutes. The bed is flat and not ready for delivery. The scale is not out, the stir ups are not out, my Dr. is not here. Nobody is ready for a delivery.

So my nurse hears me scream this and rushes over to me. I am still lying on my side and in so much pain I can't move. She grabs my leg and rolls me to my back. I am still let's just say vocalizing my pain. Then I yell, "I have to push. I'm pushing is that ok." It wasn't so much of a question as a statement. There was nothing I could do. My body had taken over and pushing it was doing.

In one long, continuous push Colt comes out. He comes out so fast no one is able to catch him and he lands on the bed. For about 1 second everyone is shell shocked. I am still lying on my back and am having a hard time seeing him. I start getting worried and asking if he was ok. My mom notices I am worried and tells me he is great! He is crying faintly I can't hear him. I look over at Dan and he is very emotional. What a sweet daddy.

My doctor walks in about this time and my mom sees her and says, "You missed it." she then points to the bed where Colt is lying. What a shock to her, too! LOL!

The nurses get Colt set up and Dan cuts the cord. They hand me the baby. I cant believe he is here!!! I can't believe what an entrance he made! I also can't believe how good I feel. Instant relief. I have never experienced anything like that before. I can't believe I gave birth without an epidural!

Well about 5-10 minutes later my epidural started kicking in. Haha. They had unplugged everything and taken it out but the medicine finally kicked in! So I had to lie in bed for a couple hours while it wore off.

Another side note: after I delivered the nurses noticed there was a knot in the umbilical cord! I think it was from all his flipping around in there, crazy boy! I am so so thankful that he arrived just fine...this pregnancy has been one big adventure from start to finish!

We are thrilled to have little Mr. Colt Darren Mahoney as part of our family!

Just in case this post wasn't long enough here are some pictures!!!





7 lbs 7 oz and 20 inches long!




Cutie baby!




Saffryn meeting Colt for the first time! She is still figuring our what she thinks about him.




Baby boy sleeping soundly!




Momma and baby day 2




A little awake time!

Well to wrap it up I feel really good. This recovery has been by far the easiest. Little boy is doing great. He is so far eating and sleeping well. We are hoping to head home this afternoon. Thanks for all the prayers, well wishes, texts, emails, visits, calls and overall support. We feel so loved!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. Oh my!! Now that is a great Birth adventure!! Way to go Momma!! So relieved that he is here and safe!! Bless you! Hope you get lots of rest, well you know, as much as you can;) HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story!! And look at you, Super Woman; no epidural! This is me bowing down to you! Glad you and Colt are both doing well. And thank you for inspiring me to write Rylin's birth story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! What a story! Congratulations to your beautiful family of five :)

    ReplyDelete