Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Being Real

So I am hesitant to share this story because of course I want everyone to think I am a great mom that never makes mistakes....but I want to be real. I of course make mistakes...some worse than others. Sometimes things happen that I don't see coming. It sucks to admit and it is scary to dwell on the what ifs...anyway here is my afternoon:

While Pierce was sleeping this afternoon I let Saffryn play outside on our balcony...which she has done countless times! I had the door open and was sitting on the couch right outside the door filling out my bible study for my study this evening.

I was watching her play. She had some cheap metal keys from our file cabinet and was just walking around playing with them and a bucket of water and paint brushes. I let my eyes fall back into the study and suddenly I hear a loud scream and she runs into the house screaming and crying. I thought maybe a bug had bit her or something because she was rubbing her hand and was very scared.

After calming her down and consoling her I had her take me outside to see what happened....and low and behold those stupid keys were in the outside socket. She had opened the cover and found a perfect slot to put her key. I feel HORRIBLE!!!

I of course checked her really well...and we got lucky. She is perfectly fine...a little bit of black on her hands that washed off. Then I called Dan and asked what to do with the keys that were still in the outlet. He told me to find something wooden because that is a nonconductor item so it wouldn't shock me. I got some wooden tongs and pulled it out. It was melted and all charred....oh my goodness.

I took a look at her bunny and found that a piece of his ear that she was obviously holding got singed...SCARY! Oh the things that could have happened.

So needless to say we had a long conversation about getting shocked (she pronounces it socked) and to never ever ever put anything in the outlets. She walked around all afternoon and evening telling me she got shocked and it. broke. my. heart.  She also kept telling me, "never ever ever." Well at least she got part of it.

So scary. I feel horrible. Thank you God for keeping her safe and protecting her in spite of my negligence.

So this is me being real.

4 comments:

  1. So GLAD she is ok--so scary!! Being a mom is so tough somedays and somedays we put to much "to be perfect" on our shoulders. Sure it is easy to read and see what all the other moms are doing but in the end we all make mistakes that we regret. Happens to me at least once a week:)
    How could anyone not think you are a rock star mom--cuz' you truly are!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing mom. From what I hear, every mom has a least one moment (usally multiple moments) like this. I think I've been shocked a few times from outlets as a child- haha. You're a wonderful mom and don't you forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, glad she's okay. Second, you are an amazing mother. These things happen, and they happen to the best of parents. Third, I totally agree with the rock star mom comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a mom but even I can appreciate the honesty, vulnerability and courage that it takes to write something like this! And how wonderful to know that we are all figuring this life out. You have such a beautiful family. You're awesome Tylie!

    ReplyDelete