Saturday, June 13, 2015

I did it

Last week I posted this picture to facebook:
With a caption about how angry I was at my sewing machine. I could not figure out what I was doing wrong. 

Okay let me back up. I have some super long curtains in my front living and dining room. They came with the house. They are beautiful but they drag on the ground and the kids get tangled up in them and it's just too much. 
I mean seriously. Look how long they are! It has been driving me crazy! Anyway, a few Christmases ago I got a sewing machine from my sister and brother in law. I used it shortly after to make special bunny a blanket. Then I packed it away and moved and haven't used it since. 

I wanted this long curtain problem solved and I thought maybe I could tackle it with my sewing machine! So, I pulled it out and couldn't remember anything!!!! I skimmed over the manual and got started. The stitches just wouldn't take and I tried and retried to figure it out. I was so frustrated. 

Several of my crafty friends on facebook looked at my picture and gave me some tips as to what it could be. It took me over a week to get the gumption to try it again. Which now brings me to tonight! 

I tried to mess with the tension setting and it made no difference at all in the stitches. I tried rethreading everything and that made no difference. I even replaced the needle and still nothing. So I YouTubed some sewing videos and while watching a woman rethread her machine I realized I have been threading the bobbin wrong! Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh! Rethreaded it and presto...worked perfectly! (Amazing how things work when you do them correctly. Sheesh). 

Soooo. Now introducing my new and shortened curtains:

I am quite pleased! I know they aren't perfect but for my first major sewing project I think I did pretty well! Yay! Maybe I will end up being a crafty person afterall :)




1 comment:

  1. Awesome job! I'm proud of you for not giving up! Thank heavens for google and You Tube!

    ReplyDelete