Friday, February 22, 2013

A Lesson on Pepper

My children love salt and pepper. Dan and I both agree it probably has less to do with the actual taste of the salt and pepper and more to do with the fact that Dan and I enjoy it on our food so it seems special to them.

So we have now had to fight this battle: "Can I do it myself??? I want to put it on my food."

We have tried explaining just how tricky these spices are. If you use a little it tastes great but if you use a lot it is very yucky. We also tried explaining just how hard the shakers are to use. But still every night we fight the same battle.

A couple of nights ago when Saffryn asked, "pleeeeeaaaaase can I do it?" Dan and I looked at each other and communicated through our eyes. We agreed non verbally that just maybe she should learn the lesson for herself. So we hand her the shakers and again tried to show her and tell her the best way to use them.

She quickly grabs the shakers and I can see her independence shining in her eyes. Everything we are saying is literally going in one ear and out the other. I swear you could almost see it. LOL! She grabs the peppers and turns in upside down for what seems like forever. She then grabs her spoon and takes a bite....and her eyes grow about three sizes bigger. "Oh! It is so spicy!" She drinks a huge drink of milk. She tries it again and realizes it is unetable.




She was then all ears on how to do it right. We showed her how you tip the shaker more to the side and gently shake it once or twice. She caught on so very quickly!!! She is now a salt and pepper pro!

There are so many things to learn when you are little :)


No comments:

Post a Comment