Monday, November 14, 2011

Thankful

With the Holiday Season quickly approaching I am thinking and reflecting on all the things I have to be thankful for. But the one that really stands out to me is this:

John 3:16-17 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

I know this is a very used verse and can seem kind of cliche to a Christian and Non-Christian alike. But bear with me a minute.

Now that I am a parent those words have really challenged the way I think about this verse. If I am being perfectly honest I can tell you that there is not one person on this Earth I would sacrifice either of my children for. Harsh, but true. My children are just everything to me and I would do almost anything to protect them.

Yet God does the exact opposite of that, he sends his only Son into the world, knowing what he was going to endure. He had absolute power to stop his Son from ever being hurt, from dying, from even coming in the first place. But Jesus did die. He did suffer. And God let him. Because he so loved the world. Because he loves you. Because he loves me. He sent his Son to die for people who do not care. Who HATE him. Yet he did it because he LOVES the world.

I cannot comprehend that kind of love.  I am so thankful for the love that God has for us. I am so thankful for Jesus Christ dying to save us.

"How deep The Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure"--Stuart Townend

Yes, I have a lot to be thankful for!!!!

1 comment: