Thursday, March 17, 2016

Village

I'm sure you have heard the saying, "It takes a village to raise a child." Well truer words have never been spoken. So many times I have benefitted from people around me. They share wisdom, laughs and a helping hand. 

I have been at my wits end this week with my sweet little Colt. He has been so defiant and unruly. It has been exhausting. Last night I called my mom and said as much. And I asked her WHAT DO I DO?!?!? She encouraged me to have a small one on one time with him and just talk to him. He needs to be seen and heard. Oh. Right. Why didn't I think of that. :)

After dinner Dan watched the other three and I took my boy out for ice cream. 
He was SO excited. 

We talked for a little while then this conversation happened. 

Me: "Things are kind of hard right now aren't they?"
C very thoughtfully "Yea. Sometimes I miss it. And I am sad about it. Not always just sometimes."
Me: "It's okay to feel sad. What do you miss?"
C obviously stumped and trying to find a word to use. 
Me: "Do you miss our old house?"
C kind of sadly: "Ya. Do you know we used to have bunk beds?"
Me: "Do you miss having your own space?"
C using his hands to show me: "Pierce was here and I slept here."
Me: "And it is hard that you don't have that anymore. Sometime I feel sad about it, too. It's normal to feel sad. Even though it's kind of hard right now we are all in this together. We are a family and we will be with each other forever. If you feel sad about it again you can tell me you feel sad and ask for a hug."
C nodded his head and was obviously satisfied with the conversation. He then started chatting about the song on the radio. 
My sweet boy. This has been such a hard time for all of us. Moving can be so hard. 
So thankful for my village who helps me raise my children. Thank you momma for seeing into my boy's heart and guiding me to be a better mother! 

1 comment:

  1. What a sweetheart. Moving is hard! This post will help me with Adrienne. Thanks Tylie for sharing!

    ReplyDelete